Thursday, January 14, 2010

I love Mexican food ...

I could eat Mexican food all day, day in, day out.
In fact, when there is nothing to eat in the house - there are always tacos.
I found a steal of a deal. 100 organic fresh tasting yellow corn tortillas for under $3.00!! So when all else fails, I pull out a couple of tacos from the freezer and begin. I keep the tacos in the freezer (which is how I buy them) in a sealed bag. They do not dry out and can last for a few months. There is a secret to preparing them. I learnt this the first time I heated one up for a friend who just spent the winter in Mexico. I got my wrist slapped.
So he showed me how to make them right!
You take two tortillas - always two and don't ask me "what happens if you only want one"?
because I will reply - "you can never eat just one"!
The only pans I use are cast iron, they hold heat extremely well and evenly.
I also have a little 8" pan that is the perfect size.
Heat up the pan and add a touch of oil. When the pan is hot I add the two frozen tortillas and reduce the heat to medium low. I add a tsp of water to the pan and then I begin to flip. You
turn over both and then flip the top one. Turn both over again and again flip the top tortillas. In this way both sides heat up. The longer you warm it the crispier it gets. More drops of oil will make it slightly toasted. A few more drops of water and the tortilla softens.
The tortillas are usually pulled out in order to finish some leftover chicken. In fact almost always, when there is leftover chicken it goes in a tortilla.
Before I begin the warming up process I neatly lay out the fillers. Anything goes: leftover chicken (i shred mine), scrambled eggs, lettuce, avocado, peppers, onions, cheese and salsa.
We use different combinations, they are made and eaten right on the spot. A softened tortilla goes into the pan, filled, folded and flipped until the centre heats and melts.
Remember the cilantro and hot sauce!
Eat well,
Be well


No comments: